MIND 24-7 Provides Walk-in Urgent Mental Health Care Around the Clock Heightened awareness of mental health illnesses, increased media coverage and the pandemic’s impact have helped create a more open...
MIND 24-7 Provides Walk-in Urgent Mental Health Care Around the Clock
Heightened awareness of mental health illnesses, increased media coverage and the pandemic’s impact have helped create a more open public dialogue about mental health. At the same time, we’ve seen an increased need for accessible mental health care—a challenge that MIND 24-7 is working to solve.
The state of mental health in America
In a survey about the impact of the pandemic on mental health in the U.S. by the American Psychological Association, 79% of psychologists reported an increase in anxiety disorders among patients, 66% saw an increase in demand for treatment for depression and 47% reported an increase in demand for substance use treatment in 2022. In addition, Mental Health America’s report on the state of mental health in the U.S. found that more than 10% of youth are experiencing depression that severely impairs their ability to function at school, at work, at home, with family or in their social life.
More than half of adults with a mental illness (54.7%) don’t receive treatment. Arizona ranks 46th (out of the 50 states and Washington, D.C.) for access to mental health care services. That fact, coupled with an ongoing mental health provider shortage, inadequate insurance coverage for mental health care and the societal stigma around mental illness, is leaving 28 million people in the U.S. untreated for anxiety, depression and other mental illnesses.
The need for urgent mental health care
Given the state of mental health care in the U.S., where patients wait up to six weeks to see a mental health provider, MIND 24-7 fills a critical gap between long waits and going to the emergency department for mental health care.
“What we kept hearing was that people weren’t getting the mental health care they needed because they couldn’t find a provider who could see them in a timely manner, and they couldn’t afford to spend hours in a hospital emergency department either,” says MIND 24-7 Senior Vice President of Marketing and Communications Jessica Dixon. “Oftentimes, emergency departments don’t have mental health providers on staff, which means patients end up having to wait even longer for psychiatric staff to be called in. Not to mention, it can be costly.”
As an alternative to the hospital emergency department, MIND 24-7 is open all hours of the day and night for walk-in care. Patients see a mental health professional within 20 minutes of arrival, and most will be on their way again in about an hour and a half.
Who needs urgent mental health care?
When someone has a high fever or a sprained ankle, it’s pretty clear they need to go to an urgent care center. But when is mental urgent health care the right choice? Those with mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, addiction or substance use disorder, paranoia, post-traumatic stress disorder, schizophrenia, suicidal ideation and more, and need immediate access to a mental health care provider, can walk into any MIND 24-7 location for immediate care. But even people who just feel down, not themselves or simply the need to talk with a mental health professional can benefit from a visit to MIND 24-7 too.
MIND 24-7 patients can expect services including:
- Mental health triage and assessment
- Talking with a therapist or psychiatrist
- Medication prescriptions or refills
- Development of a personalized treatment plan
- Ongoing counseling until patients can transition to a long-term provider
- Referrals to a long-term mental health provider or inpatient care if warranted
- Assistance with personal challenges such as housing, nutrition, safety, employment and addiction
MIND 24-7 mental health services
MIND 24-7 provides three levels of urgent mental health care to adults and youth:
- Express Care, which is perfect for patients who want to see a certified mental health professional and be on their way again quickly. Most Express Care patients are in and out in less than two hours.
- Crisis Care, which is for people who may be a danger to themselves or others. Our mental health professionals work to stabilize patients so they can go home or move to inpatient care. They may be observed in the clinic for up to a day for treatment to help them through their current crisis. MIND 24-7’s Crisis Care provides a compassionate and cost-effective alternative to an ED visit.
- Progressions, which is our ongoing individual and group counseling program, is designed to provide outpatient support for patients for up to 90 days while we help them find a provider in the community.
MIND 24-7 is here
Since opening the doors of its first walk-in clinic in September 2021, MIND 24-7 has served more than 25,000 patients at its locations in Mesa, Central Phoenix and near Metrocenter. In April, a fourth location on West Camelback Road near the Arizona Cardinals’ State Farm Stadium opened, expanding access to even more people in need.
“With the opening of our newest location in West Phoenix, we are excited to bring our innovative model for urgent mental health care to even more people in the Valley,” says Adrienne Opalka, MIND 24-7’s Chief Administrative Officer and Co-Founder. “Mental health issues don’t take time off, and neither do we. The mental health specialists at MIND 24-7 are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for adults and children. With this latest expansion, we can provide you and your loved ones with the right mental health care, right when—and where—it’s needed.”
Contact MIND 24-7 today
If you or someone you know is struggling with a mental health issue, you don’t have to go through it alone. Visit a MIND 24-7 clinic location near you, visit MIND24-7.com, or call or text 1-844-MIND247 (844-646-3247).